Thursday, May 31, 2007

Sick and dying

I haven't made an entry into my blog for quite some time (nearly a week). I have only got one reason - I have had the flu since Tuesday. I contracted it from my mother (who got the flu on Sunday) and I've been laid low for the past three days. I sleep for most of the day. I'm too tired to eat or drink. When I'm awake I'm really cranky (unlike my mum who is REALLY cranky when she's sick). I often wonder why people get more cranky and irritable when they are sick, especially with the flu. There must have been studies done on this topic.

However this episode of flu was rather more severe than the previous episodes I had in the past. Usually I am capable enough to feed myself and get water. This time around, getting out of bed was a chore. During this time, I was thinking it could be something else. Pain when urinating - could it be an urinary tract infection? Well it wasn't a sharp stabbing dysuria and I hadn't vomited (yet). Extreme headache - meningitis? No neck stiffness or Kernig's sign excluded that differential diagnosis. Well today disproved all my conclusions - I'm much better although still tired with a cough, a stuffy nose, some nausea and some headache.

But I have a craving for McDonald's Chicken McNuggets and Krispie Kreme doughnuts.

No comments: