Thursday, May 10, 2007

Diagnosis: Chronic caffeine intoxication

Believe it or not the local teaching hospital has just built a Starbucks in the main foyer. To me it is quite unbelievable and odd. I don't know why, it is just odd.

When I analyze the situation there is nothing wrong happening. Lots of hospitals have coffee shops or snack bars in their settings. There is nothing wrong with having a brand company setting up in the hospital. 7-Eleven has stores in all the Hospital Authority hospitals whilst most of the canteens in the hospital are run by outside catering contractors.

What about the health side of the equation? Granted, coffee is not always good for you but at least it is better than McDonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken setting up next to the Coronary Care unit. And if you think doctors eat health, just look at what the doctors are willing to eat in our hospital canteen (and that includes myself as well).

The thing that unnerves me is that most of our young staff will be sitting in there most of the time. How much work will be done now, with half the ICU nurses drinking lattes and sitting on the couches? That's my only main concern.

Of course all this doesn't preclude me from ordering a grande caramel cream frappuccino...

No comments: