Friday, June 20, 2008

Religion gone mad

I have a lot of issues I like to write about but I don't anticipate writing many blog entries in the upcoming weeks due to my internship work. One topic I really want to express my views about are religion. I have commented many times about religion but certain events have happened since I ranted about religion that I need to rant again.

Whilst mentioning ranting about religion, one honourable mention should be Marcus Brigstocke's rant about religion on the BBC Radio 4 program "The Now Show". It is the funniest and most accurate rant about religion I have ever heard. If you want to hear what Brigstocke talks about or want to read the transcript, you can find it here. What I like about the rant is that is not entirely focussed on Christians. Marcus Brigstocke also directs his views towards the Jews and Muslims as well

On the same program I heard the Vatican issued new sins which include:

1. "Bioethical" violations such as birth control
2. "Morally dubious" experiments such as stem cell research
3. Drug abuse
4. Polluting the environment
5. Contributing to widening divide between rich and poor
6. Excessive wealth
7. Creating poverty

I'm sure all these sins are very valid and should be applied in the modern era. Yet it was pointed out the Vatican said about polluting the environment, "We should be listening to the science and facts. We should not be basing our actions on erroneous beliefs." I think at this point it started to snow in Satan's home and certain porcine creatures demonstrated vertical flight. It's similar to Adolf Hitler asking us to be nicer to Jews.

Also very hippocritcal is the sixth sin - excessive wealth. For those who have been to the Sistine Chapel or seen Godfather Part III know the Roman Catholic Church are not short of money. By accumulating all that money, you are indirectly committing sins 5 and 7 at the same time. Why don't they just sell all those paints by Raphael and Michelangelo, using the proceeds to help children in Africa who have been orphaned due to the spread of AIDS, thanks to the Roman Catholic Church policy of not endorsing the use of condoms to prevent the spread of HIV for Christian-based aid agencies.

After the list of sins were produced, many paedophiles and sexual abusers were relieved to hear that kiddie-fiddling was not one of the new seven deadly sins. If paedophilia had been on the list, most Catholic bishops and priests from USA and around the world would have been booked on a one-way trip to Hell already.

No comments: