Friday, September 28, 2007

Dropping off plus Burma

It's happening again - I have trouble staying awake during class. It has been severe enough that other people are noticing. This week, it has happened in two sessions. It occurred when the Early Psychosis Team was having a meeting discussing patients and another during a clinic, which was embarrassing since the patient noticed and complained to the doctor afterwards.

I get enough sleep last night, about eight hours, and the sleep was good, with no dreaming - that's not the problem. I have hypothesized three theories as to why this is happening. Firstly since I have gained weight and my neck has disappeared, allowing my head to merge with the rest of my body, I might have developed obstructive sleep apnoea leading to non-restful sleep. Secondly the last time I was on my current medication (escitalopram) I had the same problem of daytime drowsiness/somnolence (sleepiness to the non-medical). Lastly I have problems maintaining my concentration and I switch off easily, leading me to go into a slumber.

I'll address this issue with my psychiatrist at my next appointment. Hopefully we can sort this problem out. I know that some patients with depressive disorders are prescribed amphetamines to perk them up...

********

The latest scenes from Burma are shocking but not really surprising. You wouldn't expect the military rulers to yield their power so easily, especially to some orange-clad monks. It doesn't surprise me that they are using brute force to achieve control, since they have being doing that for forty years.

As I see it, there are only two ways for Burma to achieve the democracy it so desires.

1. The citizens of Burma rise up and overthrow the junta. They tried it in 1988 democratically but it didn't work. Yet this time it might work. A great deal of people will die during the revoltion but the sacrifice would be worth it.
2. The governments of the world apply a lot of pressure to Burma. I don't just mean a few sanctions here and there. It would take total isolation of Burma to make the dictators realize they might need to yield some power. This solution is more peaceful but less likely. USA and UK have too much on their plate with Iraq and Afghanistan and they are too chicken to do anything. China do not want to ruin the economic ties it has with Burma.

I know countries do not want to interfere with other countries' internal politics and doing so doesn't mean good results (look at Iraq). Yet I know there are times this might be warranted, when the country is so poorly run and there is oppression of the citizens whilst the rulers live in luxury.

No comments: