Thursday, September 13, 2007

Reversal of state

For those who read my blog at the original site, you may have noticed that I have changed the parameters around, utilizing the full space. It looks better on a 1024x768 resolution. For those using an 800x600 resolution, sorry.

********

When I enter a depressed mood, it is difficult to implement all the psychological techniques I have taught by my psychiatrist. I have been in therapy for nearly five years and have been given various methods to try to help reverse my depressed mood. THe most obvious method is not to think so negatively but to analyze the situation in a positive manner: "It is so good that you have come this far, not a lot of people can do this." Another method is to take a third person approach and analyze the predicament in an objective manner: "It is natural that the teacher only marked you as 'fair' instead of 'good' since you haven't been turning up for classes. It is something you can improve upon." Relaxation techniques have also been mentioned, trying to remember that I am in control and not my depression.

So why do I keep getting depressed moods despite being taught these methods? Why do depressives or any other psychiatric patients keep relapsing into their conditions? I think the phrase "easy to say but hard to do" comes to mind. Once I enter the pathological state, reverting back to the normal state is not so easy. Once you are in that state of mind you keep thinking negatively or bizarrely. You quickly become neurotic/psychotic and that is why you need outside help, just to remind you you're not useless or you're not crazy & think that the teachers want to kick you out of school.

I think this is the aspect what most people don't understand about psychiatric diseases. Although most people can reverse their sadness or paranoia quite easily, once a patient goes into those modes it is difficult to reverse and may require help from other people.

No comments: