Friday, February 29, 2008

In the midst of Finals

I'm now in the middle of my written Finals, having taken the Surgery and Paediatrics written papers and surviving them. I still have my Psychiatric and Medicine written papers plus my clinical examinations but my mother is always on my back, trying to get me to study twenty four hours per day, seven days per week. At times I am thankful for this push but at times her logic can come across as very irrational. I'll write about my views about parents later.

My revision is not helped by my second flu in the same number of weeks. I've heard there has been a superbug going around Hong Kong but it seems to have affected me now. It has to be airborne since I don't go out of my flat very much, except to go to exams and I don't think any of my class peers have been sneezing or being infectious. You can spot an infectious medical student miles away by their face masks and fifteen layers of clothing.

There are so many news stories I want to comment about - Fidel Castro's resignation, the Democratic presidential nominee race, accusations of cheating within my faculty and Eduardo's fracture. Since I don't have much time, I will comment on one news story that has arisen.

Prince Harry has been forced to pull out of Afghanistan since his presence was leaked by the American website 'The Drudge Report". This is yet another reason why Americans are hated all over the world. They cannot keep the big gob shut. There is a reason why we want a media blackout for Prince Harry's presence - it will make him a target to the Taleban and endanger not only him but those around him. The media and the royal family had a deal - don't report Harry's deployment and we will give you access. Unfortunately the Americans are just not willing to play ball.

This is one of the reasons why I hate USA. They think the rules don't apply to them, whether it is the Kyoto treaty, the declaration of banning landmines or signing an amendment on the Geneva convention. They think they rule the Earth or have special rights since they are the most powerful nation on the Earth. Don't they read Spiderman - 'with great power comes great responsibility.'

I should say something about Prince Harry. For all his antics and status, at least he has done something I and most other people wouldn't do - go represent your country. That is something to praise him for.

No comments: