Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Depression and tragedy

I know many of you who read this do not have an interest in football. However the apparent suicide of German goalkeeper Robert Enke may have passed your radar screens. My heart goes out to his wife and his child.

It is a tragedy when anybody dies. For me it is even more of a tragedy when somebody dies due to a suicide from depression. This story reminds me of another German footballer, Sebastien Deisler, who quite the game at a young age due to depression.

I'm often angered by some people who think rich people and intellectual people such as sportspeople and doctors are immune to diseases such as depression and anxiety. They think money and success can buy you happiness or that you can 'think' your way out of a crisis such as feeling sad and panicky.

Just remember, depression can affect anybody. Nobody, no matter how successful they are, can escape from it

********

I often wonder why some of my female friends are still single after all this time. Love is a consider source of bewilderment for me, probably due to the illogicality of it. I know at least three female doctor friends who are beautiful, intelligent and generous and as far as I know are sans boyfriend. Perhaps they do have a partner I know nothing about.

Before you ask, I have consider asking at least two of them out for a date. I am that desperate to even consider asking a friend out but I just have too much respect for my friends, I am such a coward and I genuinely fear the rejection that may come.

********

I think Fabio Capello has missed a trick by only scheduling two friendlies between now and the next World Cup. With several first team players out injured, he needs to give deputies the chance to try out their skills on the world stage. The likes of Glen Johnson, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard and Emile Heskey are out injured. England need to give the likes of Wes Brown, Gary Cahill, Stephen Warnock and Tom Huddlestone more chances to play, even if it is for only 30 to 45 minutes.

No comments: